BioPAD (www.biopad.eu ) partners will be meeting in Donegal, Republic of Ireland, this week. We have a busy schedule planned with the Western Development Commission (www.wdc.ie) , have been working to co-ordinate the programme to fit in as much as possible.
On Tuesday we’ll be visiting two local BioPAD case studies. The first case study is the Donegal Woodland Owners Society (www.donegalwoodlandowners.com). We’ll be visiting one of their forests at Ballyshannon, and then going to their boiler installation at Laghy, Co. Donegal where the DWOS has been contracted to supply heat for a nursing home. We hope to fit in a visit to their timber depot before heading across the border to one of the Northern Ireland case studies. We’ll be visiting John Gilliland’s farm in L’ Derry, where his company Original Heating (www.originalheating.com) is located where we will learn about the wood fuel supply business in Northern Ireland and the boilers that Original Heating install.
We’ll be having project meetings on Wednesday in the Castlegrove House Hotel www.castlegrove.com , where we will also hold the pre launch dinner. The BioPAD partners (from Scotland, Finland and Northern Ireland) will be in attendance, as will speakers at the Bioenergy workshop (John Jackson, DWOS, Stephen Hynes, Irish BioEnergy Association (www.irbea.ie) and Merja Rautiainen, Measurepolis, Finland (http://www.measurepolis.fi/ ) to be held the following day. Mr Paddy McGuinness, Chairperson WDC, Mr Ray McGreal, CEO, WDC and Mr Ian Brannigan, Head of Regional Development, WDC, and Mr Seamus Neely, the Donegal County Manager will also be in attendance.
Thursday (10th October 2013) is a big day with the BioPAD bioenergy work shop) at the Mount Errigal Hotel in Letterkenny www.mounterrigal.com and the official launch of the BioPAD project by Joe McHugh, T.D. (member of the Irish Parliament). Here’s the programme for the workshop and BioPAD launch:
Chair: Dr. Helen McHenry – BioPAD Project Coordinator, Western Development Commission
9.30 The BioPAD project
9.30 Bioenergy Workshop Welcome and Introduction – Mr. Ian Brannigan, Head of Regional Development, Western Development Commission
9.40 Policy and Actions for Driving the Development of Bioenergy – Mr. Michael Doran, Director, Action Renewables
9.55 Understanding Bioenergy Supply Chains: A structured approach – Mr. Robert Prinz, Researcher, The Finnish Forest Institute, Metla
10.15 Associate Partner Experiences
- Developing Bioenergy in Donegal: A local government approach – Mr. Micheál Ó hÉanaigh, Director of Services, Donegal County Council
- Bioenergy and Measurement Technology Development in Kainuu Region – Ms. Merja Rautiainen, Technology Expert, Measurepolis
- Bioenergy from Anaerobic Digestion: How can it be developed in Ireland? – Mr. Stephen Hynes, AD Officer, Irish Bioenergy Association
11.30 Case Studies
- Supplying Heat from Local Wood: The cooperative model – Mr. John Jackson, Chairperson, Donegal Woodland Owners Society
- ‘District Heating: Learning the hard way’ and ‘Anaerobic Digestion for Waste Management’ –two bioenergy approaches – Dr. Neil James, Researcher, Environmental Research Institute, Scotland
- Examples of Finland’s Successful Use of Wood Biomass – Mr. Mikko Nivala, Researcher, The Finnish Forest Institute, Metla
12.30 BioPAD – getting involved! – Dr. Kenneth Boyd, Senior Research Fellow, Environmental Research Institute, Scotland
12.40 Questions and Discussion
Launch of the BioPAD Northern Periphery Programme Project
13.00 Welcome by Mr. Paddy McGuinness, Chairperson, Western Development Commission
13.10 Official launch of BioPAD by Mr. Joe McHugh, T.D. Donegal North-East
13.20 Closing Comment by Lead Partner Western Development Commission